Is an outsourced IT provider right for your business?
If you are a small or medium-sized business, chances are you don’t have a dedicated IT department. However, your business still has the same IT needs as any other business, so what’s the best solution? Many businesses operate on hope, meaning that they just hope everything keeps working. That’s all fine, until the day something breaks, and your business is no longer operational. So, what’s the solution for small and medium-sized businesses without the budget for an entire IT team?
Managed Service and Security Providers Bridge the Gap
Managed service and security providers or MSSP’s as they’re often referred to, are the perfect solution for small and medium business’s IT needs. Fundamentally, an MSSP functions as your business’s outsourced IT and security department. You get all the protection and ease of workflow of having an IT department, at a fraction of the cost.
Even if you have an in-house IT team, an MSSP provider can still be useful. Having an MSSP can free up your in-house team to take care of your day-to-day business needs, while your MSSP focuses on the bigger picture stuff, like cybersecurity and other outside (and sometimes even inside) threats. The person who fixes your printer is not the one who should be managing your overall business security, that’s not their expertise. Your MSSP is going to be security focused, while also having the capability of being able to function as your IT support.
What sorts of things does MSSP coverage include?
Your MSSP provider can cover a vast variety of things that help your business run more efficiently, and generally your provider can craft a package that it completely tailored to your needs. Here’s dome of the typical things your MSSP provider can offer you:
- 24/7 monitoring for security threats
- Incident response (and more importantly, an immediate response)
- Phishing detection and takedowns
- Business owner Cybersecurity Protection
- Consulting and business planning (helping you identify and troubleshoot the pain points of your business)
- Wireless network management
- Off Hours and Emergency disaster response
- Firewall management
- Patch management
- Security audits
- Cloud computing support
- Vendor management and support
- Device Management (company and BYO devices)
- Vulnerability Scanning
- Physical Projects (like door access control, security camera installation, low voltage cabling etc.)
What kind of industries can benefit from having an MSSP?
Most small and medium-sized businesses can benefit from having a MSSP. If you rely on technology to operate, you need to stay secure. While it may not seem like you have an abundance of sensitive information, to a hacker, even the most seemingly mundane information is a treasure trove of data to me misused.
What are the Benefits of Having an MSSP?
- Constant and continuous monitoring and support
- Lower overall costs. It will cost you less in the long run to keep things running operationally than scrambling to find a provider to fix things every time something goes wrong. Prevention > Inaction.
- Automatic detection and fixing of vulnerabilities. This means troubleshooting things before they become problems in the first place and having a team ready to jump into action whenever an issue does arise.
- Direct cybersecurity. Ongoing monitoring and protection.
- Having an expert tend to all your IT needs.
- More action-oriented insight, instead of hindsight solutions
- Fast response time. You already have a team on-call, you’re never going to need to search for a provider to help you in an emergency. This saves you down time and money!
- Personal cybersecurity protection. This is a newer feature that leading MSSP’s are providing, as the risk of cyberattacks grow more personal and targeted.
- You get to focus on your business and leave the IT stuff to the professionals.
Can I afford an MSSP?
The simple answer is, not having an MSSP is much more expensive. If you need to search for an find a decent provider to help you every time something doesn’t work, you’re going to pay a premium for that emergency response since you aren’t an ongoing client. Not to mention all the down time and lost revenue to your business while the issue gets resolved. Having an ongoing partnership with your MSSP provider actually saves you money.
Typically, an MSSP provider charges a monthly rate based on the scope of work they provide for your business. This allows you to work the cost into your monthly budget, instead of having to come up with a boatload of cash every time a problem comes up. You also get the added benefit of having a team of pros find and fix things before they become issues, saving you an untold amount of money.
Prices for MSSP providers vary based on the scope of work they provide, your local market, and the companies level of proficiency, but any good MSSP provider will be happy to chat about your business’s needs and create a proposal for you. Just remember, a good MSSP provider wants to be your partner in helping your business thrive.
Single Point Technologies is a leading Managed Service and Security Provider in the Metro Detroit area. We excel in keeping our customers safe, secure, compliant, and operational. We monitor and defend against all the things that keep you up at night, so that you can focus on what’s most important, your business.